Former Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi ties with Hammas meant the powers he has assumed were only temporary and when he called for dialogue, as clashes in the Nile Delta saw a member of his party killed, medics said.
Morsi had to go - and did.
Morsi's constitutional declaration on allowing him to issue decisions and laws unchallenged, triggered a wave of protest and set him on course for a showdown with Egypt's judges.
We know the result, the Army took control.
Clashes between supporters and opponents of the president, outside a Muslim Brotherhood headquarters in Damanhour, saw one Islamist killed and 10 people wounded, a doctor at the hospital in the Nile Delta town told AFP.
Witnesses said the clashes, in which protesters hurled petrol bombs and stones, followed three days of unrest there, with Morsi's opponents trying to storm the Brotherhood office.
Several offices belonging to the Muslim Brotherhood's Freedom and Justice Party have been torched since Thursday's announcement.
'The death of this young Islamist and the fires targeting the party's offices show that certain people are trying to lead the country towards chaos,' the party's president Saad Al Katatni said on his Facebook page.
Last week's constitutional declaration states that Morsi can issue 'any decision or measure to protect the revolution,' which are final and not subject to appeal.
The announcement has sparked charges that he is taking on dictatorial powers.
The administration of President Barack Obama aims to keep US troops in Afghanistan after formal combat operations in that country end in 2014, The Wall Street Journal has reported.
Citing unnamed senior US officials, the newspaper says the plan is in line with recommendations presented by General John Allen, commander of US and international forces in Afghanistan, who has proposed a force between 6,000 and 15,000 US troops.
This force will conduct training and counterterrorism operations after the NATO mission in Afghanistan formally concludes at the end of 2014, the report said on Sunday.
About 67,000 US troops are currently deployed in Afghanistan alongside 37,000 coalition troops and 337,000 local soldiers and police that make up the Afghan National Security Forces (ANSF).
The United States and Afghanistan launched crucial talks on November 15 on the status of US forces remaining in Afghanistan after the NATO withdrawal of combat troops in 2014.
The US has stressed that it is not seeking permanent bases in Afghanistan. It is also considered likely to shy away from a security guarantee, which would require it to come to the nation's assistance against aggressors.
That, however, is seen as one of the targets of Afghan negotiators.
Afghan President Hamid Karzai is said to be willing to accept a US troop presence post-2014 as long as his key demands are met.
(C: 2016) Affiliated Press International Foundation/Admin/infoUS/Canada/ParisEurope/Geneva/Australasia/Dubai/Singapore/Hong Kong/Japan
ANKARA, Turkey (AP) — Turkey's sudden willingness to join the fight against the Islamic State group is a sign that it's afraid of losing clout with the U.S., but its second front against Kurdish rebels in Iraq on Saturday could complicate Washington's war.
For months, Ankara had been reluctant to join the U.S.-led coalition against IS despite gains made by the extremist group on Turkey's doorstep. Now, Turkish warplanes are directly targeting IS locations — the latest bombing run coming early Saturday for
a second straight day. Turkey then opened a second front on Kurdish rebel sites.
The strikes against the Kurdistan Workers' Party, or PKK, muddle the U.S.-led fight against IS. The United States has relied on Syrian Kurdish fighters affiliated with the PKK while making gains against IS.
Late Saturday, the White House said Turkey has the right to defend itself against terrorist attacks by Kurdish rebels. Spokesman Alistair Baskey strongly condemned recent terrorist attacks by the PKK, which the U.S. has designated a terrorist group, and said the PKK should renounce terrorism and resume talks with Turkey's government.
A statement from the intelligence inspector general, I. Charles McCullough, and his counterpart at the State Department, Steve Linick, said that McCullough's office found four emails containing classified information in a limited sample of 40 emails.
"This classified information should have never been transmitted via an unclassified personal system," they said. For Clinton, the news amounted to a major distraction on a day when she'd hoped to focus on unveiling a new set of economic policies. Instead, she opened her New York City speech by addressing the controversy, decrying some reports as inaccurate.
It was not immediately clear whether the Justice Department would investigate the potential compromise highlighted by the intelligence inspector general. The office has not suggested any wrongdoing by Clinton, according to U.S. officials speaking on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the referral publicly.
But the inspector general's office said in its letter to Congressional oversight committees that it was concerned that "these emails exist on at least one private server and thumb drive with classified information and those are not in the government's possession," said Andrea Williams, a spokeswoman for McCullough.
None of the emails were marked as classified at the time they were sent or received, but some should have been handled as such and sent on a secure computer network, said the letter sent to congressional oversight committees.
Clinton has maintained that she never sent classified information on her personal email account, which she said in March she used as a matter of convenience to limit her number of electronic devices. The State Department has made public some of the emails involving Clinton, and is under court order to make regular further releases of such correspondence.
The aim is for the department to unveil all of 55,000 pages of the emails she turned over by Jan. 29, 2016. But a federal judge this month chastised the department for moving too slowly in providing The Associated Press with thousands of emails submitted through the Freedom of Information Act.
Republicans are pushing Clinton to turn over her server to a third party for a forensic evaluation. "Her poor judgment has undermined our national security, and it is time for her to finally do the right thing," said House Speaker John Boehner.
Clinton spokesman Nick Merrill said she had followed "appropriate practices in dealing with classified materials." But there's little dispute among intelligence officials that Clinton should have been more careful with her information — though her behavior was likely not criminal.
Current and former U.S. intelligence officials say they assume that all of the email that transited Clinton's home server is in the possession of Russian or Chinese intelligence services, who would have easily bypassed whatever security measures she took. They, too, spoke on condition of anonymity because they weren't authorized to discuss the Clinton email situation publicly.
Whether a security violation or not, the risk for Democrats is that questions about her email harden into an early narrative about Clinton's honesty and management skills. Already, Republicans have spent months depicting Clinton as a creature of Washington who flouts the rules for personal gain.
Clinton's people say questions about her correspondence won't sway voters, who they argue are more focused on economic and family issues. But, there are signs that the issue may have already affected views of their candidate.
An Associated Press-GfK poll released last week found that voters view her as less decisive and inspiring than when she launched her presidential campaign just three months ago. Just 3 in 10 said the word "honest" describes her very or somewhat well.